Looking for a great way to help out in your community?
Check out the openings below and contact us if you see something you might like to help out with.
Large Size Groups (10-20)
- The Community Storehouse is in need of gently used and new donated clothing and household items. Local neighborhoods, businesses, corporations, and/or churches can hold a collection drive for these items to be donated to the Storehouse. Our client families receive these items free of charge. Those that are not needed by our families are sold in one of our two stores and the proceeds go back into our children’s programs. We will have our truck available at any location where a drive is being held. Volunteers can organize and publish this type of event along with sorting and loading the truck with donated items. Volunteers will also need to unload the truck at our location.
- Volunteer in our Food Pantry; sorting, stocking shelves, preparing food boxes, etc.
- Volunteer in our sort center; sort clothing and preparing items for sales floor.
- Our Food Pantry is in need of food and paper goods for our families. Hold a food drive or hygiene drive for clients and drop off at our Food Pantry
- Provide 2-3 volunteers for three-hour shifts for a whole month in our Donations Department at Keller Hicks. (Shifts would be 10-1:30 and 1:30 -5:00 Monday through Saturday)
- Summer – During summer months we are looking for local churches who will host a summer outing at their location for the children we serve. These children love picnics, water games, movie night, etc. This is a wonderful opportunity for the children and their parents to relax and enjoy quality time away from the stress their household is experiencing. A July 4 event would be a great time to host the children.
- Warm Tummies Volunteers; oversee a location from 11-1:00 serving children lunch and reading to them. Volunteer one day or one week.
- September – Run in the Dark Volunteers needed each September. Large groups are needed to pass out information flyer to local neighborhoods two weeks in advance and help manage the event on Run day.
- November & December – Volunteers are needed to hold drives for new unwrapped toys to be donated for Christmas House.
Medium Size Groups (5-10)
- Volunteers needed to put together food boxes for Easter (March-April), Thanksgiving (Oct-Nov), and Christmas meals (Nov-Dec).
- Volunteer at the Warehouse in our food pantry or sorting area or both.
- Warm Tummies Volunteers; oversee a location from 11-1:00, Mon-Friday, June-August, serving children lunch and reading to them. Volunteer one day or one week.
- Summer – Our Reading Program is held in July at Westlake Academy. Volunteers are needed to work with the teachers and children during these dates from 7:30-2:00. We ask for volunteers to commit to an entire week to ensure consistency in the classroom. A volunteer orientation and background check is required for working with this program.
- October Food Drive – Pick up a Thanksgiving food list and fill a reusable grocery back with these items. The cost is about $20 total.
- November & December Food Drives. Get a food list for Christmas, do a food drive, sort food items into boxes by like items. Donate to the Food Pantry.
- November & December Toy Drives – Collect new, unwrapped toys for Holiday House. Please put in closed boxes before dropping off when possible. Collecting November 14th – December 20th.
Small groups (2-5)
- Community Gardens: Donate fresh produce to the families we serve through our Food Pantry.
- Bathroom Makeover. We have one small bathroom needing to be painted, new flooring put in and new vanity for. Materials, tools, supplies will need to be provided by the group. Someone with plumbing experience will need to assist with changing out the vanities.
- Small group to come in weekly to box up donated toys for Holiday House (Nov 14-Dec 20).
- Donate materials and labor to landscape grounds at Keller Hicks.
- Volunteers are needed to canvass local businesses to place posters advertising out special events such as Christmas House and Hope’s Dinner and Auction.
Off Sight Volunteer Opportunities for children:
- Collect food on your block and bring it in to the pantry to put on our shelves.
- Collect new toys on your block or at your BD Party to donate to the children we serve.
- Collect paper towels and toilet paper on your block for families.
- Design Thanksgiving, Christmas, and/or Easter cards for the children we serve. We will include them in the food boxes.
- Birthday Bags – Put together a birthday party in a gift bag. Select a theme (can be around a color or based on a character such as Barbie), buy large gift bag with theme you have chosen and stuff it with items for a party: table cloth, paper plates, cups, plastic ware, napkins, candles, cake mix, frosting, party favors, hats and anything else you would like to include.
- Giftwrap Paper-collect gift wrapping paper, scotch tape and ribbon for the Christmas House.
- Easter-collect plastic eggs, bagged grass, and baskets
Pictures will be taken when items are dropped off.
Volunteer Opportunities for social groups off site:
- Put together female baskets or small bags of bath soap, feminine products, toiletries, etc for teenage girls to be passed out from our food pantry.
- Put together bag of toiletries for boys. Shaving cream, deodorant, tooth paste, after shave lotion, etc. and bring to food pantry.
- Host a party and collect hygiene items for our food pantry.
Pictures will be taken when items are dropped off.